Although today’s world is filled with high-tech surgeries and medications, it turns out that simple elastic compression stockings work effectively as varicose vein treatment and treatment for other circulatory problems. One study in the medical journal Phlebology found that 71% of patients who had been prescribed medical compression socks said their symptoms improved when worn daily or almost daily.
TED or medical stockings, like those made by Sigvaris, Juzo, Jobst, and Mediven, work by applying pressure to the veins and lymphatic system of the leg.
Because the stocking is made of elastic fibers and rubber, it tightly presses against the leg. This added pressure supports the veins, keeps blood circulating more easily, and reduces the risk that clots or swelling will occur in the lower part of a person’s body.
These stockings are manufactured in several levels of compression, measured by mmHg (millimeter of mercury).
- Over-the-counter (support) hose come in 10-15 mmHg or 15-20 mmHg varieties.
- Medium stockings require a prescription and come in 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, and 50+ mmHg varieties.
- High stockings come in 18-21, 23-32, 34-46, and up to 50 mmHg varieties. High level stockings are usually custom made.
Your doctor or phlebologist (a doctor who specializes in treating vein disorders and varicose vein treatment) may refer to these stockings as support hosiery, medical stockings, anti-embolism stockings, or lymphedema compression stockings.
All of these stockings work on the same basic principle – tightly supporting the veins in the leg to promote better blood flow.
Compression stockings work best when a person has been prescribed the right amount of compression and gets a good fitting compression stocking.
The best way to ensure a good fit is to visit a retailer. Retailers such as Sigvaris, Juzo, Jobst, and Mediven can tell you where to get fitted for their products through a simple website search.
If you already know what type and compression stockings you need, it’s easy to get replacement stockings from an online retailer such as Amazon. Here are some of the most popular varieties:
- Sigvaris EverSheer Womens Open Toe Thigh Compression Hose 15-20 mmHg
- Juzo Cotton Support Knee Sock 15-20mmHg Closed Toe, VI, Black
- Jobst Relief THIGH HIGH – Firm Compression 20-30mmHg M Open-Toe with Silicone Band Beige